Objective: To provide students with an opportunity to apply an interpersonal communication theory to a case study, and to evaluate how useful the theory is in furthering our understanding of the interpersonal communication behaviors described in the case.
Whether it is in terms of communication for effective instruction, or theory to enhance technological processes, the communication theory that was developed in the 1940s has had an immeasurable impact on all forms of communication today, both human and non-human.
Wilbur Schramm, considered by many to be the founder of communications as a field of study, served as the director of the Office of Facts and Figures and the Office of War Information in Washington, D.C.
With this problem in mind, Shannon developed the linear model of communication, based
"on a chain of constituent elements: the source of information which produces a message, the encoder or transmitter, which transfers the message into signals allowing transmission, the channel, which is the means to send the signals, the decoder or receiver, which reconstructs the message from the signals, and the...
Directions: Select one of the three interpersonal communication theories listed below and use the theory to analyze the corresponding CASE STUDY HANDOUT that is paired with each theory.
IV. Critique the Theory
• Evaluate the theory you have selected in terms of the five criteria for evaluating theories discussed in class: scope, testability (or verifiability), parsimony, utility, and heuristic value.
• How well did the theory help explain the interpersonal communication dynamics described in the case study? In what ways did it fail to further our understanding of the issues?
• Describe at least two ways in which this theory might be further changed or expanded to better describe and explain interpersonal communication.
• Grading criteria: Did the student evaluate the theory using all 5 criteria discussed in class? Did the student compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the theory? Did the student offer at least two ways in which researchers might expand and further develop the theory?
Examining rewards given for effectively completing a task can increase a person’s motivation to work their absolute hardest on a task in the workplace....
III. Critique the Case Study Participants using the Theory
• How might the theory you have selected better inform the participants in the case study you analyzed? In other words, how might their decisions to communicate have been changed for the better had they known what you now know about interpersonal communication?
• Discuss how the theory enhances or changes your understanding of the situation described in the case.
• Grading criteria: Did the student thoroughly discuss how the theory might have informed the characters in the case study? Did the student discuss how his or her understanding of the case was enhanced by the theory?
Another aspect that I will discuss in the following essay will also be how communication can affect the productivity of a company, I will also relate this to motivational theory.
Communication Privacy Management (CPM) Theory
(Petronio, 2002) Relational Dialectics Theory
(Baxter & Montgomery, 1996) Social Exchange Theories: Interdependence and Equity
(Thibaut & Kelley, 1959; Walster & Berscheid, 1978)
explain your own “memorable” experience, event(s) or communication behaviors or activities in everyday contexts, including your personal/interpersonal relationships, family/home, work, public/mass media, and other settings. Specifically, select and present one and only one communication theory from lecture materials in detail, describe your experience/observation, and use the theory to explain your experience/observation. In particular, you should describe how your learning has enhanced your understanding of your personal responsibilities for communicating successfully with others. Personal responsibilities in the essay mean that you examine ethical values/decisions (your own or those of others) within your essay contexts. You need to show that you recognize ethical dilemmas and alternative actions and evaluate the consequences of various ethical perspectives.
Do you want your assignment written by the best essay experts? Then look no further. Our teams of experienced writers are on standby to deliver to you a quality written paper as per your specified instructions. Order now, and enjoy an amazing discount!!